Re: mmap dirty limits on 32 bit kernels (Was: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs)

That's my personal opinion, and I realize that some of the commercial
vendors may care about their insane customers' satisfaction, but I'm
simply not interested in insane users. If they have that much RAM (and
bought it a few years ago when a 64-bit CPU wasn't an option), they can't
be poor.

From our perspective, the main issue is that some of these machines we spent
quite a bit of money on the big RAM (for it's day) + lots of 15k RPM SCSI drives + multi-year support contracts. They're highly IO bound, and barely use 10-20% of their old 2.4Ghz Prestonia Xeon CPUs. It's hard to justify junking those machines < 5 years.

We have a couple of 6G machines and some 8G machines using PAE. On the whole, they actually have been working really well (hmmm, apart from the recent dirty pages issue + reiserfs data=journal leaks + inodes in lowmem limits)

Rob