Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:00:30 +0100 (CET) Christian Kujau <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > I think that we're fairly good about working the regressions in
> > Adrian/Michal/Rafael's lists but once Linus releases 2.6.x we tend to let
> > the unsolved ones slide, and we don't pay as much attention to the
> > regressions which 2.6.x testers report.
>
> Can't we wait until all regressions[0] are fixed before releasing a new
> 2.6.x? I'd consider regressions a *literal* show stopper, and with this
> policy they just have be fixed, nothing would "slide"...

Problem is that everyone would then sit around pumping shiny new features
into their trees waiting until someone else fixes the regressions.

There are a number of process things we _could_ do.  Like

- have bugfix-only kernel releases

- Just refuse to merge any non-bugfix patches for a subsystem when it is
  determined that the subsystem has "too many" regressions.

- Create an "if you added a regression, you should fix some other bug
  too" rule.

- probably other stuff.

But we can't/shouldn't do any of that until it is generally agreed that we
have a problem and that the problem is of sufficient magnitude that process
changes are needed to address it.  We aren't at that stage yet.

Here's an important point: developers have a fixed amount of development
time.  They spend some of that time fixing bugs and the rest of that time
on <otherstuff>.  And while one could cook up all sorts of wonderful
process changes, they all would be aimed at a single thing: shifting some
of the developers' time away from <otherstuff> and onto bugfixing.

At this stage the only tool which is being deployed to attempt to bring
about that reprioritisation is suasion.  aka "lkml flamewar".