Re: Bootup support for watchdog with short timeout (touch_nmi_watchdog()?)

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:54:54PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> To some degree, it's configurable.  But the generic question still
> stands.  It seems like a decent idea to me.  Making touch_watchdog (or
> whatever it winds up being called) nice across arches might be fun.

It always seemed to me that it was userspace that should poke the
watchdog as an indication user space still works on the system.  That's
how my watchdogs are managed.  I do initialize them in the boot loader
with a 3 minute timeout which is more than long enough for the system to
boot, load the driver and change the timeout to 60 seconds or whatever
I want at runtime and start the watchdog daemon.

If the kernel hangs at initializing some driver, I do NOT want the
kernel to automatically be poking the watchdog.  I want it to time out
so to me the kernel should not be able to kick the watchdog at all by
itself.

--
Len Sorensen