Re: Bootup support for watchdog with short timeout (touch_nmi_watchdog()?)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:45:03 -0400
[email protected] (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:22:27PM +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > I'm trying to implement support for a board specific watchdog on a PPC440EPx
> > board with a very short timeout. In this case, the watchdog has to
> > be "kicked" at least every 100ms, even while booting and the real watchdog
> > driver not running yet. While looking for trigger places in the kernel
> > source, I noticed the already existing "touch_nmi_watchdog()" function, which
> > seems to be doing what I need. Even if the name not exactly matches my
> > hardware setup.
> >
> > My question now is, is it recommended to use this
> > touch_nmi_watchdog() "infrastructure" for my PPC custom specific watchdog
> > during bootup? And if yes, should it perhaps be renamed to a more generic
> > name, like "touch_watchdog"?
> >
> > Please advise. Thanks.
>
> No idea really.  Who would design a watchdog with such a short trigger
> time?  That doesn't seem to be useful in any way.

To some degree, it's configurable.  But the generic question still
stands.  It seems like a decent idea to me.  Making touch_watchdog (or
whatever it winds up being called) nice across arches might be fun.

josh