Re: Bootup support for watchdog with short timeout (touch_nmi_watchdog()?)

Hello Stefan,

In message <[email protected]> you wrote:

> I already have it running on my system using a quick hack (see patch below) in
> include/asm-ppc/nmi.h (yes, still arch/ppc for now :-( ). But for a clean
> implementation, that has chances for upstream merge (in arch/powerpc later),
> I would really like to hear if I should move on further this way.
>
> My impression is, that changing the name from touch_nmi_watchdog() to
> something like touch_watchdog(), and therefore touching lots of files, makes
> it more unlikely that this resulting patch will get accepted. But
> implementing this bootup watchdog support in asm-ppc(asm-powerpc)/nmi.h
> header seems also not totally correct, since it's not really an NMI in this
> case.

Indeed. Using the header file <asm/nmi.h> is seriously misleading for
the PowerPC version, as is the function name touch_nmi_watchdog() -
thius has nothing to do with NMIs on PowerPC, and most probably not on
any other non-x86 architecture as well.

To make this mechanism generally usable (which is a good idea IMO) the
names should be changed to get rid of the "nmi" reference.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [email protected]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply  to  serve  as  a
warning to others.