Re: [patch] PCI: disable MSI on more ATI NorthBridges

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:17:23PM +0800, Shane Huang wrote:
> Since we have little experience on PCI and MSI here, we had to try to

As someone else pointed out, AMD should have *lots* of people with
pci and msi experience on the payroll.  (Folks here buy AMD-designed
pci chips ...)

> ONLY
> comment out the pci_intx() call in drivers/ata/ahci.c
> My system can boot up too with MSI enabled!
>
> So does it mean that the root cause is our SB700 SATA controller
> has a hardware bug where setting INTX_DISABLE in the PCI COMMAND
> register masks MSI interrupts too?

That's what it sounds like, to me.

> And what is the software solution or workaround?

Not sure. Sounds like the device driver needs a quirk for this part.

The over-worked Jeff Garzik is the maintainer for that driver.

You should probably provide the pci device id for this beast.

--linas