Re: [patch] PCI: disable MSI on more ATI NorthBridges

Linas Vepstas wrote:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 09:17:23PM +0800, Shane Huang wrote:
Since we have little experience on PCI and MSI here, we had to try to

As someone else pointed out, AMD should have *lots* of people with
pci and msi experience on the payroll. (Folks here buy AMD-designed pci chips ...)

ONLY
comment out the pci_intx() call in drivers/ata/ahci.c
My system can boot up too with MSI enabled!

So does it mean that the root cause is our SB700 SATA controller
has a hardware bug where setting INTX_DISABLE in the PCI COMMAND
register masks MSI interrupts too?

That's what it sounds like, to me.

And what is the software solution or workaround?

Not sure. Sounds like the device driver needs a quirk for this part.

Take a look at tg3.c net driver change 2fbe43f6f631dd7ce19fb1499d6164a5bdb34568 which is a similar situation.

However, it may turn out that removing the pci_intx() stuff as a general rule is easier than quirking these devices, if enough of them turn out to have this hardware bug.

The tg3.c change should illustrate how to fix immediately, though.

	Jeff