x86_64 usability bug: Kconfig prompt without help text (was Re: sata & scsi suggestion for make menuconfig)

I take the liberty to modify the CC list.

Paul Rolland wrote:
> Stefan Richter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I assert that a Kconfig prompt (a visible Kconfig variable) _without_
>> help text is a bug.
>
> Here is an example from 2.6.34-rc6 :
>  .config - Linux Kernel v2.6.23-rc6 Configuration
>  +------------------------- Provide RTC interrupt -------------------------+
>  | There is no help available for this kernel option.                      |
>  | Symbol: HPET_EMULATE_RTC [=y]                                           |
>  | Prompt: Provide RTC interrupt                                           |
>  |   Defined at arch/x86_64/Kconfig:471                                    |
>  |   Depends on: HPET_TIMER && RTC=y                                       |
>  |   Location:                                                             |
>  |   -> Processor type and features |

The same prompt existed in arch/i386/Kconfig without help text too but
it was later made invisible and automatic by pre-2.6.13 patch "remove
special HPET_EMULATE_RTC config option", commit
c91096d85c95c6b7fe8d7065e2aa6825e0bdaca9: "We had a user whose apps
weren't working correctly because his "rtc" wasn't working fully.  For
the sake of simplicity, it seems sensible to always enable HPET RTC
emulation."

  - So, which criteria influence whether HPET_EMULATE_RTC should be
    enabled on x86_64 or not?

  - In case that there is no compelling reason to disable it if its
    dependencies are satisfied, shouldn't it rather be invisible and
    automatic like on i386?
--
Stefan Richter