Re: NFS4 authentification / fsuid

On Sep 07, 2007, at 01:14:09, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 20:56 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
Umm, I did say "encrypt the root filesystem", didn't I? Booting my laptops this way follows this procedure:
   1) Enter BIOS boot menu
   2) Insert /boot CDROM
   3) Select the "CDROM" entry
   4) Wait for kernel to start and run through initramfs
5) Type password into the initramfs prompt so that it can DECRYPT THE ROOT FILESYSTEM
   6) Continue to boot the system.

[...] the only avenues of attack are strictly of the "Install a hardware keylogger" variety.

So an attacker will instead install a hardware keylogger, or swap out your boot cdrom with a compromised but almost identical boot cdrom instead, or mod your bios, ...

A fully self-certifying system that can prevent any attack is _very_ hard to achieve. Just ask apple (iPhone) or any games console vendor...

A fully self-certifying system that can prevent any attack is impossible to achieve. If I have the device and can devote as many hours as I want to breaking into it, there is exactly ZERO way to prevent that, aside from encrypting things and not giving out the key (which sorta makes it useless but is precisely the point of real crypto).

There is a HUGE difference between "I don't want the end-user to hack into this" and "The end-user wants a certain degree of assurance that his data can't be compromised. In the former case (IE: DRM) you are NOT using cryptography because you are giving the user: (A) the data, (B) the algorithm, and (C) the key, which means they can decrypt it ANY TIME THEY WANT. In the latter case the attacker DOES NOT have the key and virtually all of the attacks forms of "How do I get the key?". The end-user is REQUIRED to provide an appropriate level of physical security based on the nature of the data; If I'm that worried about somebody substituting my /boot CD, then I'm going to make DAMN sure that I keep it on my person at all times.

So you can't draw any relationships between "Protect the end-user" with "Protect the device FROM the end-user", the former can be done very reliably to whatever level of risk-reduction you need and the latter can't practically be done at all.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett