Re: Fwd: That whole "Linux stealing our code" thing

On 01/09/07, Luis R. Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:
> I urge developers to not bait into this and just leave this alone.
> Those involved know what they are doing and have a strong team of
> attorneys watching their backs. Any *necessary* discussions are be
> done privately.

Err...

I don't understand why you need a lawyer to interpret this document:

/*     $OpenBSD: ar5210.c,v 1.39 2007/04/10 17:47:55 miod Exp $        */

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Reyk Floeter <[email protected]>
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
 * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
 * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
 *
 * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES
 * WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 * MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR
 * ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
 * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
 * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF
 * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
 */

If you want to add more code to it, and your contribution is
significant, simply add you name next to Reyk's. Where's the problem?

I don't know how licensing could be any simpler than this. Please,
notice, that there are no additional documents (other than the
copyright law) to read here -- _this is the complete licence_! (And
you have to read the copyright law even if you use the GNU GPL.)

C.