Oops in 2.6.23-rc5

Hi,

today I switched from 2.6.22.3 to 2.6.23-rc5 (skipped quite a few -rc versions due to lack of time), and the box keeps panicking under certain circumstances. I suspected disk related problems, because: when the box is up, I usually resume ~10 bittorrent files. When doing this, each
file (~200MB...1GB) is checked and disk activity is pretty high (20MB/s
or so), and after 1 minute of doing so the box panicks. Every time.

However, I could not reproduce it while generating disk-io with say tar or rsync to the same fs. It always panicked when the torrent client(s) start up. As the box would not log anything via remote-syslog before halting, I connected a vga display. As I don't have a digital camera, I tried to write down some stuff: http://ww.nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.23-rc5/ (I'll try to write down the full oops to this place, or what was still visible from it, because the first few(?) lines where lost, display scrollback was not working, only sysrq was).

The backtrace mentions do_page_fault, error_code, tcp_rtt_estimator, tcp_ack_saw_timestamp, tcp_ack, tcp_rcv_established, tcp_v4_do_rcv, tcp_v4_rcv, ip_local_delimiter, netif_receive_skb, process_backlog, net_rcv_activate, __do_softirq, do_softirq - in that order. As said, the correct addresses will be put on above's url (Q: do I really need *all* the numbers? Or just a few?). These snippets made me suspect network related issues, because: aside from disk-io, the bittorrent clients will establish quite a few (~50 in total) connections to all the peers.

The box is a amd-k7, 2 NICs (forcedeth, 3c59x), 2 GB RAM, ACPI disabled, gcc-4.1

Thanks for looking into this,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #335:

the AA battery in the wallclock sends magnetic interference