Re: nmi_watchdog=2 regression in 2.6.21

Daniel,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:34:44AM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 02:12 -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> > Daniel,

> > > The output below is all the output ..
> > >
> > > eax=0x7280201: version=1  num_cnt=2
> > >
> > Then you have a Core Duo processor and the commit from Bjorn should
> > fix the problem. If it does not, then there is something else wrong.
> > Unfortunately, I do not have a Core Duo machine to try and reproduce.
>
> There must be something else wrong, cause the problem persists .. As I
> said in past emails to Bjorn, I tested his commit in git, as well as the
> latest git all with the same issue (as well as bisecting git)..
>
> If the hardware is buggy then we need some way to determine that..

Could you instrument check_nmi_watchdog() to verify that you terminate
this function? Normally there is a safety mechanism in there.

Another  possibility is that you get flooded with NMI interrupts and
do not make forward progress.

> If this machine didn't support performance counters, what would happen
> then?

If you have an Local APIC and performance counters, then it will try and use it.
Otherwise, I suspect it tries the NMI_IO_APIC (nmi_watchdog=1).

--
-Stephane