Re: [2.6 patch] remove securebits

Quoting Adrian Bunk ([email protected]):
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 10:09:42AM -0500, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Adrian Bunk ([email protected]):

> > > It was in the tree for nine years (sic) without a single user...
> >
> > That's because without file capabilities there was no way for a process
> > to retain capabilities across exec, so not having a privileged root user
> > was simply not workable.
> >
> > > Are you only improving a dead horse, or do you also have a rider for the
> > > improved dead horse?
> >
> > It will allow process trees to run with strict capabilities, without a
> > root user which automatically gains full capabilities.  That wasn't
> > possible without file capabilities, since there was no way for processes
> > to retain capabilities across exec.  Now that we have file capabilities,
> > it is feasible, and it certainly is useful.
>
> I didn't question that the dead horse gets improved, but where's the
> rider?
>
> A user of the improved securebits has to be submitted for inclusion in
> the kernel.

The user would be userspace...

Unless by 'the user' you actually mean the patch itself which will allow
the setting of secure_noroot per-process.  I don't know for sure, but
suspect Andrew might like to wait until file capabilities make it into
and stabilize in Linus' tree before going on with that.

-serge