Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 08:55:04PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:52:54PM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > The other part of the puzzle is including the wider Linux community.
>
> As I said; what's wrong with just using SPI membership?  It's not like
> it is remotely hard for kernel hackers to gain membership in SPI.  And
> somebody else takes care of the bureaucracy for you.

My impression as an SPI member is that in practice most SPI members come
from the SPI projects [1], and due to Debian's size Debian developers
are the majority of SPI members.

If you elect at KS it'll favor kernel developers.
If you let all SPI members elect it'll favor Debian developers.

The Linux Foundation homepage says "The Technical Advisory Board (TAB)
provides the Linux kernel community a direct voice into The Linux
Foundation’s activities...". If this is the intention, an election at
the KS is the best solution.

cu
Adrian

[1] the most important task of SPI is handling money for the
    SPI projects (and having an US tax-exempt status)

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed