Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 06:42:09PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 07:37:48PM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:

> > > I was under the impression that the TAB elections were being held at
> > > Kernel Summit purely as a stop-gap; that this wasn't to be a regular
> > > event.
> >
> > And we're still looking for a better solution. Patches welcome.
>
> Software in the Public Interest has a system you can steal ...

Unfortunately, it's fairly burdensome:

 Any contributing member of SPI is eligible to vote.

 Contributing memberships are open to persons and organizations who
 have made significant contributions to the free software community,
 as determined by the membership committee.

 The membership committee and its charter will make reasonable and
 fair procedures for these determinations, including for acquiring
 necessary information such as lists of projects a prospective member
 has participated in or testimonials, and for regularly reviewing the
 status of contributing members.

While I think that's laudable, we definitely don't have the resources
for that, as everyone on the TAB already has a full workload. And it
hardly seems worth the trouble for a once-a-year election.