Re: [Tech-board-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:34:34PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > Exactly ... we want a process that's simple and transparent.  We chose
> > > voting at the KS because almost all the attendees satisfy the "made
> > > significant contributions to Linux" requirement without us having to do
> > > anything or make any controversial determinations.  Like Matt said,
> > > better suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > This is a dumb suggestion, but...
> >
> > How about one vote per git commit merged to linus' tree?
> >
> > Might be worthwhile to allocate votes for Acked-By and so on, as well.
>
> Because git only goes back to 2.6.12.

If you haven't had a patch accepted since 2.6.12, it's not really
clear you're still a contributor.

Giving various kernel janitors more votes than people doing more
difficult work might be frowned on though.

But I can see giving, say, the top N contributors by some simple
metric a vote. That'd broaden the base. (But given that only about 30%
of last year's KS attendees voted even though they were a more or less
captive audience, I'd be surprised if many bothered.)

The other part of the puzzle is including the wider Linux community.