Re: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:
>
>> shaneed cm schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>> This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
>>>  I am Computer Science Engineering final year student.  We have to do
>>> a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
>>> decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
>>> memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
>>> in Linux clusters.  Last year we did a study of Linux's page
>>> replacement mechanism.  As I am not experienced as you people, please
>>> suggest me some ideas.
>>
>> Just for an example:
>> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
>> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
>> a kernel scheduler to support it.
>
> i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
> suggestions for projects.  the eventual choice of project should be
> based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
> should be doing.
>
> in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
> involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.  what
> shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.  IMHO, he
> should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
> problem.  that's just part of the academic process.
>
> rday
> --
> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Of course it is appropriate. Day's response is very strange
indeed. As part of a student's research, he should ask questions
of people who are likely to know some answers about his query.

In fact, if students for which I am an adviser didn't ask such
questions, and simply selected a project, I would question
the validity of the project. Projects are not selected in
a vacuum. Just like "real world" industry, there must be
a need (read market) for the project (read product).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.22.1 on an i686 machine (5588.30 BogoMips).
My book : http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.