Re: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:

> shaneed cm schrieb:
> > Hi,
> > This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
> >  I am Computer Science Engineering final year student.  We have to do
> > a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
> > decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
> > memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
> > in Linux clusters.  Last year we did a study of Linux's page
> > replacement mechanism.  As I am not experienced as you people, please
> > suggest me some ideas.
>
> Just for an example:
> Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
> suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
> a kernel scheduler to support it.

i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
suggestions for projects.  the eventual choice of project should be
based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
should be doing.

in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.  what
shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.  IMHO, he
should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
problem.  that's just part of the academic process.

rday