OT: Re: request for Linux kernel related project ideas

Robert P. J. Day schrieb:
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Clemens Koller wrote:

shaneed cm schrieb:
Hi,
This is a request for Linux kernel related project ideas.
 I am Computer Science Engineering final year student.  We have to do
a project of one year duration . I formed a group of two and we
decided to do a project in Linux kernel. Our interests are in Virtual
memory management, file system, process scheduling and load balancing
in Linux clusters.  Last year we did a study of Linux's page
replacement mechanism.  As I am not experienced as you people, please
suggest me some ideas.
Just for an example:
Checkout what filesystem / caching / scheduling policy is most
suitable for Solid State PATA/SATA Flashdisks and write / modify
a kernel scheduler to support it.

i'm not sure that it's appropriate for LKML folks to be giving anyone
suggestions for projects.

I don't care so much. The answer should have been a hint that
just some minutes ago, we had a thread on this list about
Solid State Flash disks... it could be interesting to
spend some brain cells in that area - just for an example
...and there are so many.

>  the eventual choice of project should be
based on what *shaneed* wants, not what other people tell him he
should be doing.

Propably he doesn't know yet what he wants?

in addition, sometimes part of the work involved in a school project
involves doing enough research to just make the *choice*.  what
shaneed is asking is that others do that work for him.  IMHO, he
should be told politely but firmly that selecting a topic is *his*
problem.  that's just part of the academic process.

Asking people with more experience what's needed is in my point
of view also a reasonably academic process to make progress in the
right direction. IMHO that's one of the main reasons why
open projects work.

Regards,
--
Clemens Koller