Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:34:01 +0200, Ingo Molnar said:

> Maybe the kernel could be extended with a method of opening files in a
> 'drop from the dcache after use' way. (beagled and backup tools could
> make use of that facility too.) (Or some other sort of
> file-cache-invalidation syscall that already exist, which would _also_
> result in the immediate zapping of the dentry+inode from the dcache.)

The semantic that would benefit my work patterns the most would not be
"immediate zapping" - I have 2G of RAM, so often there's no memory pressure,
and often a 'find' will be followed by another similar 'find' that will hit a
lot of the same dentries and inodes, so may as well save them if we can.
Flagging it as "the first to be heaved over the side the instant there *is*
pressure" would suit just fine.

Or is that the semantic you actually meant?