Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Rene Herman wrote:

On 07/25/2007 06:06 AM, Nick Piggin wrote:

 Ray Lee wrote:

> Anyway, my point is that I worry that tuning for an unusual and > infrequent workload (which updatedb certainly is), is the wrong way to > go.

 Well it runs every day or so for every desktop Linux user, and it has
 similarities with other workloads.

It certainly doesn't run for me ever. Always kind of a "that's not the point" comment but I just keep wondering whenever I see anyone complain about updatedb why the _hell_ they are running it in the first place. If anyone who never uses "locate" for anything simply disable updatedb, the problem will for a large part be solved.

This not just meant as a cheap comment; while I can think of a few similar loads even on the desktop (scanning a browser cache, a media player indexing a large amount of media files, ...) I've never heard of problems _other_ than updatedb. So just junk that crap and be happy.

but if you do use locate then the alturnative becomes sitting around and waiting for find to complete on a regular basis.

David Lang