Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

* Rene Herman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Regardless, I'll stand by "[by disabling updatedb] the problem will
> for a large part be solved" as I expect approximately 94.372 percent
> of Linux desktop users couldn't care less about locate.

i think that approach is illogical: because Linux mis-handled a mixed
workload the answer is to ... remove a portion of that workload?

To bring your approach to the extreme: what if Linux sucked at running
more than two CPU-intense tasks at once. Most desktop users dont do
that, so a probably larger than 94.372 percent of Linux desktop users
couldn't care less about a proper scheduler. Still, anyone who builds a
kernel (the average desktop user wont do that) while using firefox will
attest to the fact that it's quite handy that the Linux scheduler can
handle mixed workloads pretty well.

now, it might be the case that this mixed VM/VFS workload cannot be
handled any more intelligently - but that wasnt your argument! The
swap-prefetch patch certainly tried to do things more intelligently and
the test-case (measurement app) Con provided showed visible improvements
in swap-in latency. (and a good number of people posted those results)

	Ingo