On 6/20/07, Dave Neuer <[email protected]> wrote:
On 6/20/07, Tomas Neme <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm about this far to Linus'izing my wording and calling you stupid,
> hypocrite, or bullshitter

Knock yourself out, it will no doubt lend much moral and logic weight
to your rhetoric.

I might not have the best rhetoric, but I still hold my point about
the credit card. Ask yourself: are you going to complain about Firefox
(GPL'ed) not passing information unencrypted because it stops
potential users (crackers ARE users) from doing what they want to with
it? What's a security issue and what's not is a matter of legality and
it's each part's duty to enforce legality in every way they can (I'm
not saying that I agree, I'm an anarchist, but it's just how it goes).

The content providers do it by not allowing DVRs to work if they're
not secure, and DVRs are secure by doing whatever is legally possible
to avoid crackers from bypassing security measures. On the other hand
is legal for you to bypass those security measures as long as you
don't make illegal use of those bypasses.

The kernel TiVo distributes works on TiVo boxes, The kernel modified
by you, is no longer the kernel TiVo distributes, and therefore the
key that the original kernel had no longer applies to it. Try running
your TiVo kernel on a PC, I think you won't be able to without a lot
of modification.. and then again, once you do the proper modifying,
you will be able to use it on your multimedia computer, and use all of
the wonderful things you DIE to be able to modify the TiVo kernel
for.. If you modify your TiVo kernel and say make it so it doesn't
have an IDE controller module anymore, you won't be able to run it on
your TiVo either.. at least not in any useful way, and would you be
complaining?

And someone said this already, if the signature is created via a known
algorithm, and only the key isn't provided, saying that that's not
GPLv2 compliant is like saying that I can't publish investigation work
that was produced sharing via a secured network unless I also publish
the SSH key I used through investigation, or the original value of the
srand() if the investigation relied on random number generation,
because the exact same results won't be reproducible.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|