> However, I don't see how this would ever require a company like Tivo
> or Mastercard to have their networks play nice with a unit that has
> been modified by the end user, potentially opening up some serious
> security holes.

Which is why the GPLv3 doesn't make the requirement that you stated.

Why, if you let user-compiled kernels to run in a TiVo, it might be
modified so the TiVo can be used to pirate-copy protected content,
which is a serious security hole. TiVo would need to read, approve of,
and sign any modified kernels the users intend to use on their
hardware. If GPLv3 allows for this, it'd be doing exactly that

Tomás

--
|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|