Re: [BUG] ide dma_timer_expiry, then hard lockup

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 12:07:19AM +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>
> [...frmware...]

Google seems to show that there is no publically available
firmware updates for Maxtor disks.

> >It would be useful to see hdparm --Istdout output for *both* disks.

Lets do one at a time. Appended below is the one for the
older, "known good" disk.

> >Sergei, do you think that testing the drive with DMA disabled may
> >tell us something new?

FWIW, the "buggy" disk seems to work fine with DMA turned off (with
hdparm). I just copied 60GB from it; although this did take about 16
hours at high cpu usage.... There were maybe a a dozen DriveReady
SeekComplete Timeout errors clustered a few minutes apart.

----
Re: The libata problem. This is a hang during the read of the
partition table during boot, of the "known good" disk.  I turned
on scsi and libata debugging, reproduced the hang, dilligently
copied to a piece of paper, but then left the darned piece of
paper at home.

>From what I remember, the ata command was translated to scsi,
by ata_queuecommand, and then handed off to the scsi subsystem.
Presumably, its sent to the drive, but the drive does not respond.

30 seconds later, the scsi eh runs, and ands the error back to
libata, which takes a few ineffectual shots at recovery, and
then hangs.

I'll try to get the details later.

Is there a way of viewing the contents of he command queue on
the hard drive, to see if the command actually made it across?

--linas

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 24792/255/63, sectors = 398297088, start = 0
0040 3fff c837 0010 0000 0000 003f 0000
0000 0000 5936 3130 4d45 4345 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 0003 3e00 0039 5941
5234 3142 5730 4d61 7874 6f72 2036 5932