Re: [BUG] ide dma_timer_expiry, then hard lockup

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:10:25PM +0400, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:

> >I'm thinking that trying to debug libata is a better idea, rather than
> >investing time in ide, right?  Although at the moment, libata works even
> >less; see other email.
>
>    Which makes me think this really is some *hardware* issue.

There are two distinct issues.
-- libata locks up in partition table read on an hpt366+old maxtor disk
   that has ben working fine for many years with old ide driver. (It
   still works fine when I boot to the alternate ide-based kernel).

-- ide driver locks up on hpt366+new maxtor disk under heavy
   i/o load. I was able to copy 60GB from old to new disk without a
   problem; however, raid reconstruction locks it up, maybe after 5-15
   seconds.

   This probably is "hardware related"; its something that the new
   hard drive does. Given that its being sold at a big discount, it
   may even be that the sellers know that this is a crappy disk. :-)

   All I want is some way of resetting the disk, and continuing on.

I'm stalled in debugging; I'm not sue what I'm looking for.

--linas