On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Helge Hafting wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > You do realize that Tivo makes all their money on the service, don't you?
> > The actual hardware they basically give away at cost, exactly to get the
> > service contracts. Not exactly a very unusual strategy in the high-tech
> > world, is it?
> >
> Not unusual - but so what.
> This strategy may backfire if users find a way
> to use the cheap box for something without Tivo's service contract.

Yeah, I'm not at all trying to say that Tivo has the "right to make
money".

They can fail for all I care.

But they do have the right to make their own choices, and try their own
strategies. And people shouldn't complain about that. If somebody doesn't
like the Tivo box, and the Tivo service requirements, just don't *buy* the
damn thing, and don't sign up for the service.

Whining about Tivo's choices is just stupid.

And anybody who thinks others don't have the "right to choice", and then
tries to talk about "freedoms" is a damn hypocritical moron.

		Linus