Re: [patch] cpusets: do not allow TIF_MEMDIE tasks to allocate globally

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, David Rientjes wrote:

> If that fails, we can't allocate elsewhere because then we have taken
> exclusive memory from other applications and is contrary to the definition
> of mem_exclusive.  You need to construct your cpuset hierarchy with these
> scenarios in mind; when you ask for an exclusive cpuset, it shouldn't come
> with a disclaimer that says "if another cpuset that is also exclusive
> happens to OOM, we'll steal your memory anyway and it's not our problem if
> the dying task gets stuck in D state and doesn't exit synchronously or
> reliably because all we did was send it a SIGKILL."

Exclusive is not as absolute as you may think. There is also the
GFP_KERNEL exception.

Processes stuck in D state is another issue with reliability.

> > So its seems that the patch is addressing an imagined situation?
> No, it's returning us to the previous logic where an exclusive cpuset was
> actually exclusive.
>
> And, again, without this change it is possible to allocate in other
> exclusive cpusets without first exhausting your own memory reserves.
> That's wrong.

That is already occurring with GFP_KERNEL. So your patch really does not
have the purifying effect on exclusivity that you expect. This looks all
more like hunting for elusive idealistic cpuset behavior to me.