Re: [patch] cpusets: do not allow TIF_MEMDIE tasks to allocate globally

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Paul Jackson wrote:

> I'm a little surprised at this suggested change -- I'd have thought
> that it was a good idea to let tasks marked for extinction get memory
> anywhere, as they were going to use that memory to exit, and free up
> lots more memory.

The intended purpose of TIF_MEMDIE was to allocate pages without being
bound by the watermarks so that they have access to memory reserves on the
per-zone level.  If the cpuset doesn't have access to a zone, whether it's
memory reserve or not, it shouldn't allocate there.

> I'm pretty sure we have this same policy in other places in the
> kernel, besides cpusets.  Did you intend to change them too?

You'd have to cite them first.

> If a MEMDIE task is taking enough memory to OOM other tasks anywhere
> in the system, then doesn't that mean your entire system was in deep
> yogurt, and we're just haggling over who to blame for the upcoming
> crash?

No, it means that it can allocate anywhere based on the zonelist ordering
and then can OOM a very small exclusive cpuset that would never have had
any memory pressure if it wasn't violated.

		David