Re: Linux v2.6.22-rc3

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
I'm about to dive into some heads-down RHEL backporting (whee), so I cannot
look at the code in depth this weekend, but here are my basic thoughts:

* We knew there would be fallout from the new reset-sequence code, and this is
clearly in that category.

* It worked before #reset-seq merge AFAICT, which implies the old method of
probing -- which included SRST -- worked.

Well, I don't think it really "worked" before. It apparently always had a bad 30-second timeout (probably because the reset just didn't work at all). It's just that the old code didn't care, and since the identify then worked, it was all good.

<reviews thread again> Ah, indeed. I certainly prefer the old result to the new one.

With these old PATA devices, device reset is "six of one, half-dozen of the other." Using SRST is the only way to kick some ATAPI devices into working: http://suif.stanford.edu/~csapuntz/blackmagic.html#reset

I'm mainly interested in hearing feedback from Fedora 7 damage, before making a major decision about the probing code. If this is a single dain bramaged device, we should avoid punishing the majority. But if this is a trend, it warrants careful reconsideration.

The current code already has the IDENTIFY retry stuff, so it sounds like restoring the "don't care" part should be enough to restore the older behavior.

	Jeff