Re: [RFC] LZO1X de/compression support

Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

I'm certainly missing something but what are the advantages of this
code (over current gzip etc.), and what will be using it?

Richard's patchset added it to the crypto library and wired it into
the JFFS2 file system.  We recently started using LZO in a userland UDP
proxy to do stateless per-packet payload compression over a WAN link.
With ~1000 octet packets, our particular data stream sees 60% compression
with zlib, and 50% compression with (mini-)LZO, but LZO runs at ~5.6x
the speed of zlib.  IIRC, that translates into > 700Mbps on the input
side on a 2GHZ Opteron, without any further tuning.

Once LZO is in the kernel, I'd like to see it wired into IPComp.
Unfortunately, last I checked only the "deflate" algorithm had an
assigned compression parameter index (CPI), so one will have to use a
private index until an official one is assigned.

I also though of using LZO compression for some of the diskless nodes
which use iSCSI over 100 Mbit or slower.

Certainly, a fast de/compression algorithm in the kernel could bring
some new, innovative uses:

- there are talks about compressed filesystems (jffs2, reiser4, LogFS) -
why no one thought about a compressed tmpfs (should be way easier than a
compressed on-disk filesystem, as we don't have to care about data
recovery in event of a failure)?

- using compression for networking (like Bill mentioned)

- compressed caching

- compressed suspend-to-disk images (should suspend/restore faster this way)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org