Re: swap-prefetch: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans

On 5/10/07, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Huh? You already stated one version of it above, namely updatedb. But

So a swapping problem with updatedb should be unusual and we'd like to see
if we can fix it without resorting to prefetching.

I know the theory behind swap prefetching, and I'm not saying it doesn't
work, so I'll snip the rest of that.

updatedb is only part of the problem. The other part is that the
kernel has an opportunity to preemptively return some of the evicted
working set to RAM before I ask for it. No fancy use-once algorithm is
going to address that, so your solution is provably incomplete for my
problem.

What's so hard to understand about that?