Re: swap-prefetch: 2.6.22 -mm merge plans

Ray Lee wrote:
On 5/9/07, Nick Piggin <[email protected]> wrote:

You said it helped with the updatedb problem. That says we should look at
why it is going bad first, and for example improve use-once algorithms.
After we do that, then swap prefetching might still help, which is fine.

Nick, if you're volunteering to do that analysis, then great. If not,
then you're just providing a airy hope with nothing to back up when or
if that work would ever occur.

I'd like to try helping. Tell me your problem.

Further, if you or someone else *does* do that work, then guess what,
we still have the option to rip out the swap prefetching code after
the hypothetical use-once improvements have been proven and merged.
Which, by the way, I've watched people talk about since 2.4. That was,
y'know, a *while* ago.

What's wrong with the use-once we have? What improvements are you talking
about?

So enough with the stop energy, okay? You're better than that.

I don't think it is about energy or being mean, I'm just stating the
issues I have with it.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.