Re: so ... what *are* candidates for removal?

On Wednesday May 2, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2007, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
>
> argh.  the whole point of this discussion is to come to a *consensus*
> on what should be in that feature removal file.  there is no point in
> creating and submitting patches, either to update that file or remove
> kernel features, until enough people *agree*.
>
> at the risk of being head-bangingly repetitive, that's what the wiki
> page is for:
>
> http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Stuff_to_be_removed
>
> go.  read.  comment.  update.  add.  remove.  it's a wiki.  don't make
> me pull this car over and explain it.  :-)

Unfortunately, this community is not founded on the concept of
'wiki'.  It is founded on the concept of 'email'.  That is were most
discussions happen.

So if you want to start a discussion (and your topic certainly seems
relevant) I suspect you will get more participation if you keep it in
the mailing list.

So post a list of features that are apparently due for removal and ask
"can I actually get rid of these" (or whatever you want to ask).  and
then base on the response, do something else, maybe a revised list,
maybe a patch, maybe send it again in CAPITALS because nobody notice
when it was in lower-case :-)

Wiki's certainly have there place, but I don't think this is it.

NeilBrown