Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 11:50:45AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> > 3W for the complete system? In CPU state S1? [1]
>
> In STR, 3W is quite realistic. The CPU is off, all (or most - up to you)
> the devices are off, but the motherboard and memory is powered.

As far as I understand it, the CPU isn't off in S1.

> > And even 3W would still be a waste of energy.
>
> .. but if the alternative is a feature that just isn't worth it, and
> likely to not only have its own bugs, but cause bugs elsewhere? (And yes,
> I believe STD is both of those. There's a reason it's called "STD". Go
> to google and type "STD" and press "I'm feeling lucky". Google is God).

Is there really no use case for STD?

No worries if power is completely lost.
Some people might boot Windows between suspending and resuming.

> 		Linus

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.