Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:34:05PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > Even I am running in-kernel swsusp, but my managers were pretty clear
> > > they want graphical progress bar hiding all the 'ugly' swsusp
> > > messages... and in the end the same uswsusp enables compression, too.

> > > Well, it is a bit more complex than that.
> > >
> > > suspend-to-disk is a workaround for
> > >
> > > 	'suspend-to-ram eats too much power' (plus some details like
> > > 	being able to replace battery).
> >
> > Why does everyone think suspend-to-disk was a laptop-only thing?
> >
> > My personal usage of suspend-to-disk is for turning the computer off in
> > the evening and getting the complete FVWM with all programs running,
> > open browser tabs,... back the next morning.
>
> Ok ok ok, suspend-to-disk has some other uses, too.
>
> But ... you are really using suspend-to-disk as a workaround for "my
> desktop takes too much power when idle". Imagine pressing "lock
> screensaver" combination, and your machine going to low power mode
> (3W?), immediately. (Quiet, too; you can't generate much noise for
> 3W). In the morning, you'd just press any key, machine would power up,
> immediately... ok, you'd have to ifconfig eth0 down, so that spurious
> packets on the local net would wake your machine, with all its fans
> etc.

3W for the complete system? In CPU state S1? [1]
And even 3W would still be a waste of energy.

And what would be the advantage? The socket my computer is connected at
is located below my bed so I can turn the power on while still lying in
bed (the computer is not reachable from my bed). OK, I could create an
external power button for the computer using longer cables connected to
the motherboard, but I still haven't understood why this should be
better for my use case than suspend-to-disk.

> 								Pavel

cu
Adrian

[1] unless I'm misunderstanding [2], page 9, that's the highest state
    my processor supports
[2] http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24309.pdf

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed