Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair

Al Boldi wrote:
Peter Williams wrote:
Al Boldi wrote:
Reducing the prio-level granularity may also be helpful;
Because of some of the bit operations code makes it a bad idea to have
more than 160 priority levels, you're more or less limited to 60
priority levels for SCHED_OTHER tasks (as 100 are used for real time)
and you need 40 of these to pay some attention to niceness leaving you
about 20 priority levels to use for fiddling.  Is that enough?

With spa_ebs (now that CPU rate caps have been removed), you have all 60
priorities available for fiddling with as niceness is taken care of when
calculating each task's entitlement.

Ok, increasing the number of prio-levels is one thing, but I was more thinking of reducing the effective difference between each prio-level. For example, this would allow max_tpt_bonus=18, while the effective range would be 3, thus reducing granularity. Would this be easily introduceable?

OK. Now (I think) I see what you mean. I think that you could achieve this effect by shortening the promotion interval which I think is still one of the tunables. This effectively controls the strength of priority levels -- short promotion intervals weaken and long promotion intervals strengthen the effect of different priority levels.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce