Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

* Mike Galbraith <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 15:01 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>
> > Well, I'll stop heating the room for now as I get out of ideas about
> > how to defeat it. I'm convinced. I'm impatient to read about Mike's
> > feedback with his workload which behaves strangely on RSDL. If it
> > works OK here, it will be the proof that heuristics should not be
> > needed.
>
> You mean the X + mp3 player + audio visualization test?  X+Gforce
> visualization have problems getting half of my box in the presence of
> two other heavy cpu using tasks.  Behavior is _much_ better than
> RSDL/SD, but the synchronous nature of X/client seems to be a problem.
>
> With this scheduler, renicing X/client does cure it, whereas with SD
> it did not help one bit. [...]

thanks for testing it! I was quite worried about your setup - two tasks
using up 50%/50% of CPU time, pitted against a kernel rebuild workload
seems to be a hard workload to get right.

> [...] (I know a trivial way to cure that, and this framework makes
> that possible without dorking up fairness as a general policy.)

great! Please send patches so i can add them (once you are happy with
the solution) - i think your workload isnt special in any way and could
hit other people too.

	Ingo