Re: RFC: PCI quirks update for 2.6.16

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 06:27:40PM +0100, Bauke Jan Douma wrote:
> Sergey Vlasov wrote on 07-12-06 14:53:
> >On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:24:30 +0100 Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> >>While checking how to fix the VIA quirk regressions for several users
> >>introduced into -stable in 2.6.16.17, I started looking through all
> >>drivers/pci/quirks.c updates up to both -stable and 2.6.19.
> >>
> [snip]
> >>
> >>Bauke Jan Douma (1):
> >>      PCI: quirk for asus a8v and a8v delux motherboards
> >
> >This quirk will cause breakage for people who used an external PCI
> >soundcard with these boards - the builtin sound chip which was
> >invisible before may become the first audio device.
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand the problem described here, when
> ALSA can assign any arbitrary index number of a user's choice
> to cards that are detected.

The problem is that -stable patches should not introduce regression.
And if this patch would be included in the next -stable release,
people who upgrade to this release may get unexpected changes of sound
cards indexes.  This may be OK for a new 2.6.x release, but not for a
new 2.6.16.y.

> Indeed, on my system (an A8V Deluxe motherboard, with this
> quirk active), my first soundcard (given index=0) is an offboard
> Creative SB Live, and the onboard card I have assigned index=1.

Yes, now I have exactly the same setup.  But before this patch I did
not have any index=N assignments in my configuration; after the patch
I needed to add them to get my system working as before.

> I for one need this quirk to get both soundcards at all (which
> I need) -- no matter what indexing order.

I don't question the need for this patch in mainline; however, it does
not seem to be suitable for -stable.

> >It also enables the MC97 device, which does not really work (there is
> >no MC97 codec attached to the controller at least on A8V Deluxe; I'm
> >not sure if there is some other variant of this board which has MC97,
> >but it seems unlikely).
>
> This one can be disabled separate of the AC97 -- let me get back
> on that.  I, for one (however much that is), don't need it either.

Currently I get:

VIA 82xx Modem: probe of 0000:00:11.6 failed with error -13

on every boot (and snd_via82xx_modem module in memory).  Not a grave
bug, but not a good thing either (and another reason for not adding
this patch to 2.6.16.y).