Re: RFC: PCI quirks update for 2.6.16

Sergey Vlasov wrote on 07-12-06 14:53:
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:24:30 +0100 Adrian Bunk wrote:

While checking how to fix the VIA quirk regressions for several users
introduced into -stable in 2.6.16.17, I started looking through all
drivers/pci/quirks.c updates up to both -stable and 2.6.19.

[snip]

Bauke Jan Douma (1):
      PCI: quirk for asus a8v and a8v delux motherboards

This quirk will cause breakage for people who used an external PCI
soundcard with these boards - the builtin sound chip which was
invisible before may become the first audio device.

I'm afraid I don't understand the problem described here, when
ALSA can assign any arbitrary index number of a user's choice
to cards that are detected.

Indeed, on my system (an A8V Deluxe motherboard, with this
quirk active), my first soundcard (given index=0) is an offboard
Creative SB Live, and the onboard card I have assigned index=1.

I for one need this quirk to get both soundcards at all (which
I need) -- no matter what indexing order.

It also enables the MC97 device, which does not really work (there is
no MC97 codec attached to the controller at least on A8V Deluxe; I'm
not sure if there is some other variant of this board which has MC97,
but it seems unlikely).

This one can be disabled separate of the AC97 -- let me get back
on that.  I, for one (however much that is), don't need it either.

bjd