Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] [2.6 patch] cx88/saa7134: remove unused -DHAVE_VIDEO_BUF_DVB

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 12:13:59PM -0500, Michael Krufky wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> ...We need this in order to allow compilation of the cx88 / saa7134 modules
> >> without DVB support. (analog only)
> >
> > Ah, you added them in v4l-dvb last year.
>
> You are correct:  Tue Oct 11 20:11:34 2005 +0000 (14 months ago)
>
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb?cmd=changeset;node=56cf49b544f0
>
> > But they are neither in Linus' tree nor in the v4l-dvb git tree that is
> > in the latest -mm.
>
> hmm... looks like some changesets never made it over to git from our hg tree.
>
> > Compilation of cx88 and saa7134 without DVB works fine in these trees,
> > so what's the story behind this?
>
> It's a bug -- looks like CONFIG_VIDEO_BUF_DVB is being enabled, regardless
> of whether or not it is selected -- otherwise we'd get other compiler errors,
> because both cx88 and saa7134 have dependencies on video-buf-dvb.

No, the configuration

  CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134=y
  CONFIG_VIDEO_SAA7134_DVB=n
  CONFIG_VIDEO_BUF_DVB=n

builds fine in 2.6.19.

Only the saa7134-dvb and cx88-dvb modules require video-buf-dvb, and the
config options for them select VIDEO_BUF_DVB.

> VIDEO_BUF_DVB is being build without it's dependency, DVB_CORE -- that is
> the only reason why the build is still working, but it sounds unstable to me.

No, that's already handled correctly by both VIDEO_CX88_DVB and
VIDEO_SAA7134_DVB depending on DVB_CORE.

> CONFIG_VIDEO_BUF_DVB is set inside drivers/media/Kconfig, with zero
> dependencies... In fact, VIDEO_BUF_DVB "depends on DVB_CORE" , but
> this is not being reflected in Kconfig.
>
> Hmm... looks like a bit of a mess.
>
> The story is much clearer now... Looks like we should in fact apply your
> patch, Adrian, but we will also have to make the following additional
> changes:
>
> - add "depends on DVB_CORE" to the Kconfig entry for VIDEO_BUF_DVB

That would be a noop since VIDEO_BUF_DVB is a not user visible option
that gets select'ed.

> - convert the #ifdef tests in the hg repository for HAVE_VIDEO_BUF_DVB
> 	to look for the CONFIG_VIDEO_BUF_DVB instead
> - generate a patch against Linus' tree that add's these #ifdefs to the
> 	cx88 and saa7134 drivers.

There is no problem these #ifdef's would solve in Linus' tree...

> If you dont mind, I'd like to take care of this stuff myself.  I will prepare
> these patches tomorrow, and I'll have them applied to both our v4l-dvb.hg
> repository on linuxtv.org, and I'll also ask Mauro to merge them into his git
> tree before his next pull request to Linus.
>
> Thanks, Adrian, for pointing out this inconsistency.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Krufky

cu
Adrian