Re: Intel 965G: i915_dispatch_cmdbuffer failed (2.6.19-rc2)

Ryan Richter wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 06:51:01PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
Ryan Richter wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 12:43:44PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
Ryan Richter wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 07:54:41AM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
All of your other wierd problems, like the assert failures, etc, make me wonder if there just hasn't been some sort of build problem that can only be resolved by clearing it out and restarting.

It wouldn't hurt to just nuke your current Mesa and libdrm builds and start from scratch - you'll probably have to do that to get debug symbols for gdb anyway.
I had heard something previously about i965_dri.so maybe getting
miscompiled, but I hadn't followed up on it until now.  I rebuilt it
with an older gcc, and now it's all working great!  Sorry for the wild
goose chase.
Out of interest, can you try again with the original GCC and see if the problem comes back? Which versions of GCC are you using?

The two gcc versions are the 4.1 (miscompiles) and 3.4 (OK) from Debian
unstable.  I had originally compiled it myself with gcc-4.1 because the
Debian libgl1-mesa-dri package didn't build i965_dri.so until I
submitted a build patch to them to have it built.  They released a new
package a few days ago with i965_dri.so included, presumably built with
the same gcc-4.1, the default cc on Debian unstable.

I had exactly the same problems with my own version and theirs.  I
rebuilt it again today with CC=gcc-3.4 and now everything works great.
I saved a copy of the old i965_dri.so, so I can verify in the next few
days that replacing it breaks things again.  Let me know if you want
copies of these files to examine.

Sure, email me the 4.1 version offline. I'll also see about installing 4.1 here.

Keith