Re: Intel 965G: i915_dispatch_cmdbuffer failed (2.6.19-rc2)

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 06:51:01PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Ryan Richter wrote:
> >>All of your other wierd problems, like the assert failures, etc, make me
> >>wonder if there just hasn't been some sort of build problem that can
> >>only be resolved by clearing it out and restarting.
> >>
> >>It wouldn't hurt to just nuke your current Mesa and libdrm builds and
> >>start from scratch - you'll probably have to do that to get debug
> >>symbols for gdb anyway.
> >
> >I had heard something previously about i965_dri.so maybe getting
> >miscompiled, but I hadn't followed up on it until now.  I rebuilt it
> >with an older gcc, and now it's all working great!  Sorry for the wild
> >goose chase.
>
> Out of interest, can you try again with the original GCC and see if the
> problem comes back?  Which versions of GCC are you using?

The two gcc versions are the 4.1 (miscompiles) and 3.4 (OK) from Debian
unstable.  I had originally compiled it myself with gcc-4.1 because the
Debian libgl1-mesa-dri package didn't build i965_dri.so until I
submitted a build patch to them to have it built.  They released a new
package a few days ago with i965_dri.so included, presumably built with
the same gcc-4.1, the default cc on Debian unstable.

I had exactly the same problems with my own version and theirs.  I
rebuilt it again today with CC=gcc-3.4 and now everything works great.
I saved a copy of the old i965_dri.so, so I can verify in the next few
days that replacing it breaks things again.  Let me know if you want
copies of these files to examine.

-ryan