Re: Would SSI clustering extensions be of interest to kernelcommunity?

Alan Cox wrote:

Ar Llu, 2006-10-16 am 14:49 +0200, ysgrifennodd Constantine Gavrilov:
2) Are kernel maintainers interested in clustering extensions to Linux kernel? Do they see any value in them? (Our code does not require kernel changes, but we are willing to submit it for inclusion if there is interest.)

If they are doing SSI well and do not need core kernel changes then yes
they sound very interesting to me. Historically the big concern has
always been that things like this muck up the kernel core which affects
the other 99.99999% of users who don't want SSI clustering.

Alan

SSI intrudes kernel in two places: a) IO system calls, b ) page fault code for shared memory pages.

a) IO system calls are "packed" and forwarded to the "home" node, where original syscall code is executed. b) A hook is inserted into page fault code that brings shared memory pages from other nodes when necessary.

Apart from these two hooks, SSI code is a "standalone" kernel API add-on ("add", not "change").

Currently, we can do both "intrusions" from the kernel module. I assume that if we submit code, you will require a kernel patch that explicitly calls our hooks.

Also, continuous SSI in-kernel support may require SSI changes in the following cases: a) new fields in task struct that reflect process state (may affect task migration), b) changes in the page fault mechanism (may effect SSI shared memory code that brings and invalidates pages), c) addition of new system calls (may require implementation of SSI suspport for them).

Constantine Gavrilov
Kernel Developer
Qlusters Software Ltd
1 Azrieli Center, Tel-Aviv