Re: [patch 3/3] mm: fault handler to replace nopage and populate

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:49:31PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > > Which means having a list of all vma's ... I suppose I can look at the
> > > truncate code to do that race free but I was hoping I could avoid it
> > > (that's the whole point of using unmap_mapping_range() in fact).
> >
> > Yeah I don't think there is any other way to do it.
>
> What is the problem if I always keep VM_PFNMAP set ?

The VM won't see that you have struct pages backing the ptes, and won't
do the right refcounting or rmap stuff... But for file backed mappings,
all the critical rmap stuff should be set up at mmap time, so you might
have another option to simply always do the nopfn thing, as far as the
VM is concerned (ie. even when you do have a struct page)