Re: + clocksource-increase-initcall-priority.patch added to -mm tree

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:52 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

> See above, but I'm happy to copy it.
> > > The reason why this was delayed into late boot is simply that the
> > > unstable, unsynchronized TSC's made way too much trouble and the pmtimer
> > > can not be initialized early.
>
> I don't have the bug reports handy, but they are in the LKML archives.

Like I said I need more detail. I'm assuming John will know what your
talking about, or do you have a rough time frame?

> > > This early boot instrumentation code can work with low resolution time
> > > information quite well and none of the boot code does need any high res
> > > time information. Boot code is different from a running system and has
> > > different requirements.
> > >
> > > This is a solution for a nonexisting problem, which just brings back
> > > already solved ones.
> >
> > There is at least one existing problem which it does solve.
>
> Which one exactly? I'm not aware of a problem with the existing code at
> all.

Clock shuffling.

> > How about we
> > discuss the early TSC boot breakage, which you mention above, so I can
> > properly fix this situation.
>
> See above. Also it interferes probably with the highres/dyntick code, as
> we might switch over way too early. Have not looked into that yet.

I would be surprised if it caused problems. The clock switching is done
at the same time as always. I tried not to alter generic time
functionality in any way.

Daniel