Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:48:11PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> John W. Linville wrote:
> >Unfortunately, I don't see any way to "fix" WE-21 without similarly
> >breaking wireless-tools 29 and other "WE-21 aware" apps.  And since
> >I'll bet that the various WE-aware apps have checks like "if WE >
> >20" for managing ESSID length settings, we may have painted ourselves
> >into a korner (sic).
>
> The apps are based on a pre-release kernel, which everyone knows could
> change, precisely for reasons like this.  Sounds like somebody took a
> risk, and lost...
>
> 	Jeff

	Jeff,

	Let's not make a mountain of this molehill. If you want to use
old versions of Wireless Tools and wpa_supplicant with WE-21, what you
need is just to add a dummy character at the end of your ESSID. And
everything will be fine.

	Also, there is no other way to update cleanly a kernel API
than to push userspace first. I think I took way more care in term of
smoothing over the API transition than any other kernel subsystem, so
I don't know what could have been done better. I don't remember this
level of flamewar when those other subsystems did change their
userspace APIs.
	I try to be constructive about all this, so let's find a way
forward without loosing perspective.

	Regards,

	Jean