Re: wpa supplicant/ipw3945, ESSID last char missing

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:44:42PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 09:21 +0000, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
> >   we've been just through an email thread where it has been
> >   determined that wpa_supplicant 0.4.9 (I would assume that
> >   0.5.5 is also okay) and wireless-tools from Jean's latest
> >   tarball are necessary to work with the recent wireless
> >   extensions v21 that have been merged in.
> >
> > What wireless-tools are you using ?
>
> This must be considered a kernel bug - it's not allowed to break
> userspace compatibility in a stable series.

But there is no development series.  The closest thing we have is the
merge window after each release -- which is exactly when this issue
revealed itself.

Wireless in general (and the wireless extensions api in particular)
is a bit of a 'whipping boy' in the Linux world.  OK, we suck.
Everyone wants to display their wisdom by telling us how much we suck!
We know all about it...

We have sucked, and we continue to suck -- and we are working on it.
But, we are not going to be able to whip-up this omelette without
breaking a few eggs.  If we can't do that during the merge windows,
WHEN CAN WE DO IT?

John
--
John W. Linville