USB resets with Nokia 6131 in Data Storage mode

Hi all,

I'm having some problems using a Nokia 6131 in 'Data Storage' mode, i.e. when it acts as a USB mass storage device. This is with a Gentoo patched kernel 2.6.18, but AFAICT there are no patches against the USB subsystem in Gentoo's version of the kernel.

The symptoms: The system scans the partitions fine, I can mount the device and see the directory contents fine, but when I try to actually transfer files the USB subsystem seems to be doing bus resets continually until either of the sides simply gives up; I think it may be the phone that simply goes out of data storage mode into normal mode after a number of resets (or a fixed amount of time with no data transfer).

I've done a run with all the above steps with USB mass storage verbose debug enabled, the log can be retrieved from here:

   http://imada.sdu.dk/~bardur/usb-storage.log.gz

The thing I that my untrained eye noticed was that most of the small transfers seem to succeed (at least before the bus resets kick in), while all the large transfers fail. This of course explains why reading the partition table and directory contents works.

Here's the phone's lsusb -v data:

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0421:047c Nokia Mobile Phones
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0421 Nokia Mobile Phones
  idProduct          0x047c
  bcdDevice            3.70
  iManufacturer           1 Nokia
  iProduct                2 Nokia 6131
  iSerial                 3 359390005710019
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                8mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0

(I should note that the product ID changes to 0x47b when the phone is NOT in data storage mode just in case it matters.)

Does anyone have any clues to impart or anything I can try to make it work?

--
Bardur Arantsson
<[email protected]>

- Sometimes it's hard to see your own face without a mirror.
                                             Dr. Phil, 'Dr. Phil'