Re: tracepoint maintainance models

* Frank Ch. Eigler <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I think your implementation is questionable if it causes any kind of
> > jumps and conditions, even marked unlikely. Just put the needed data
> > in a seperate section which can be used by the debugging tools.
> > [...] No need to actually mess with the code for the usual cases.
>
> Trouble is that it is specifically the *unusual* cases that need
> compiler assistance via static markers, otherwise we'd manage with
> just k/djprobes & debuginfo type efforts.

i think it's all fine as long as it's just a single 5-byte NOP that we
are inserting - because in the *usual* case the 'parameter access
side-effects' should have no effect. They will have an effect in the
*unusual* case though, but that's very much by design - and it's not a
performance issue because it's 1) unusual, 2) at most means a bit
different code organization by gcc. It very likely wont mean any extra
branches even in the unusual case. Or do i underestimate the scope of
the problem? ;-)

	Ingo